No investor likes money pits. Business owners do everything to avoid them.
So why are some businesses still relying on the break-fix method of resolving IT issues when it is, in fact, a money pit?
In this article, we explain why that is no longer the preferred IT solution and show how managed IT services is now the way to go.
What is Break-Fix?
Break-fix IT is an IT management approach where IT problems get attention only when they happen – when it breaks, the IT guy is called to fix it.
It’s like waiting for your car to break down before you do anything about it – a reactive way of solving problems.
Why Break-Fix is not suitable to today’s businesses
Break-fix may have been a practical IT solution in the past, but not in today’s digital age where businesses rely on technology for everything. Some of the reasons why break-fix is no longer a suitable solution for today’s businesses are:
- It can be costly. Sudden repairs can cost more because the problem has usually already gotten worse than if there had been regular maintenance.
- It can be time-consuming. When a technology issue is already complex, it can take more time to fix than when it was still a minor concern. This means lost productivity and maybe even lost revenue.
- It can be disruptive. When your IT system breaks down, your business operations will get disrupted. In business, every minute has a cost and the longer the downtime, the more it drains your funds. This can also lead to customer dissatisfaction and loss of confidence in your business.
- It can cause vulnerabilities. While the problem is being fixed, cyber criminals could take advantage of your situation and attack your system or steal your data.
The break-fix solution is therefore a money pit that costs much more than if you had a managed IT service provider (MSP). Why is managed IT the better way?
Managed IT: The Proactive Approach
Managed IT services is where a provider has a team of IT experts who manage a business’ IT system. This method can include:
- 24-hour network monitoring
- Software updates and patches
- System maintenance
- Helpdesk support
- Cyber security
- Overall IT management
You could think of it as a car maintenance plan, where you bring in your vehicle for regular checks so the mechanics can catch any potential problem before it becomes worse and, possibly, cause damage or injury.
Why Managed IT Services is the smart solution
The old adage “prevention is better than a cure” still holds true. Managed IT is a preventative approach that can give you:
- Reduced IT costs: Because an MSP will be watching over your IT systems, day and night, they will find potential issues early. They can take immediate steps to resolve them before they cause downtime or other, costlier problems.
- Increased productivity: When your IT systems are always up and running, there is less downtime, and your staff can keep working. Also, you can focus more on your core business activities without having to worry about IT problems.
- Improved security: An MSP can improve your cyber security by keeping your systems up-to-date with the latest security patches. They can also provide you with 24/7 support and keep you protected from cyberattacks and other security threats.
- Peace of mind: You will have less to worry about when you know that your IT systems are in good hands. When you have a trusted provider, you know their team of experienced IT professionals are available to help you anytime.
Finding the perfect Managed Services Provider for your business
If you agree that managed IT is the better alternative over break-fix, the next question would be, “So how can I find a managed IT service provider that’s right for my business?” Here are a few helpful tips:
Do your research
Before you start contacting IT solutions providers, take some time to research different providers in your area. See what they offer, read reviews, compare prices, and get quotes from a few different providers.
Consider your needs
Do you need help with network security, cloud computing, or something else? Do you need someone who has already worked in your industry? Once you know what you need, start to narrow down your choices.
Meet with the MSPs
It would be good to meet in person with the people behind each provider. This is your chance to ask questions and get a feel of their company culture. This is important because you need to be able to trust the people who will be taking care of your IT.
Ask the right questions
When meeting with the MSPs, be sure to ask the right questions. Here are a few examples:
- What are your service levels?
- How do you handle security?
- What are your disaster recovery procedures?
- How will you communicate with me?
Break free from Break-Fix, Get on Managed IT Services
Managed IT is the proactive approach most suited to today’s businesses. It also costs less than break-fix in the long run. Better still, having an MSP taking care of your IT can allow you to work with less worries and sleep better at night.
If you’d like to learn more, talk to the team at ADITS, we are a leading Managed IT Services provider in Brisbane and Townsville, and support businesses across Queensland. Take advantage of a free consultation and get in touch today.BOOK CONSULTATION NOW